Noony Nook is a Baby Boy Bootsy Beet

 




I am often fascinated by the domestication of animals. When you think about it, it is quite bizarre and equally incredible, that humans and animals have been able to bond over the course of tens of thousands of years, to the point that we just adopt and let them live inside our homes now. Cats became domesticated simply because they ate our vermin, and now we love and care for them without that expectation, and seemingly, they love and care for us as well.

My cat Bootsy has been around about as long as I can remember. I was only seven years old when my mother adopted him. I had wanted a kitten for forever, and finally for my birthday that year she got me a kitten. I got to pick him out, and I selected him from the litter of gray fluff, because I noticed his cheeks were a lot poofier than the rest of his siblings. He was the only boy out of his litter. I knew he was special.

Of course, that is, special to me. He's always been lazy, and gluttonous, and moody, but I still love him to pieces. And now, at twenty-one years old, it's pretty hard to not feel immensely grateful for his presence. He's about fifteen years old now. And it shows. He's had asthma all his life, but now it's the worst it's ever been. Last week at the vet, he got an x-ray on his lungs and heart and they said his heart is a little fatigued. He's even lost a little weight in his old age, and is on medications to help with his breathing and continence. And I know that he's probably not going to be around too much longer.

However, seeing him grow has made me so grateful for his presence over the years. His presence is comforting, his love is inspiring. It's like we grew up together. He seeks out my presence, he cuddles close to my neck, he licks my forehead and kneeds my belly (even when he's not begging for treats) and he is all around a fluffy love bug. And I will miss him something fierce when he's gone. But now, I take comfort and company in the presence of my beloved Bootsy. He has been around for all my creative frustration, and copious homework, and his presence has been calming and facilitating to my ability to be productive. 

Having a loving bond with an animal is not anything that can be replaced, and I am so proud and grateful to have bonded with my Bootsy.


Comments